Friday, September 30, 2011

Is Gratitude Offensive?

Yesterday, in a meeting, a friend of mine called me a "kiss ass" because I post this blog every day - and it got me thinking. First of all, I know he was kidding - but it still kind of made me pause and think. Is it offensive to post this blog each day? If not offensive, is it obnoxious?

I really hope that my daily list is not considering kissing ass (although, if you are going to kiss someone's...God is not a bad choice!). I also hope it doesn't come across like bragging. I really believe in the power of attraction, and I think that by thinking good thoughts, more good things come into your life. I am not trying to show off, by any stretch of the imagination.

My purpose in this blog is four fold:
1. To recognize where my blessings come from and make a habit of acknowledging them
2. To fight my sarcastic, cynical nature and focus on the positive
3. To be accountable to maintain the habit of having a grateful attitude about EVERYTHING that comes into my life, even things that might seem like they don't offer much to be grateful for.
4. To show other people how this works for me, in order to show them it could work for them, as well.

Yesterday was kind of a bum day. Without going into the details, it just seemed like I couldn't go anywhere without bumping into drama or trouble - definitely not my idea of fun. On the verge of tears of frustration and anger, in my car, I made myself think of things to be grateful for...and in a short car ride, my attitude turned around.

Here's my list - Today, I feel gratitude for:
- Tree lined streets - big ol' trees, with big, tall, long branches that create canopies over the road
- Sunshine - after a foggy, yucky morning, it was good to see the sun poking her head out.
- Privacy in the car - thank goodness I can retreat to my car and have some alone time, where I can sing, shout, pray out loud.
- My health - I can breathe, walk, etc. without any struggle, and there are lots of people that would give anything to be so lucky.
- My husband - he knows exactly how to make me smile, even when I am fighting not to.

There? See? How can I be a grumpy pants when all that good stuff is in my life? Life is good, for the most part, and if the price I have to pay for having all that are occassional days where I feel like I have a black cloud over my head, so be it.

Dear God, thanks for giving me another day to try again. Please grant me the serenity to accept the things and people I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, especially my attitude, and the wisdom to know the difference. Please keep an eye on K's family, especially my MIL - they are going to miss her a lot, and she's fought valiantly. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment