Monday, October 31, 2011
- Time this afternoon to try to get a little organized before tackling NaNoWriMo - writing a novel in 30 days...sure, I can do that, right?
- Cracker Barrel's biscuits - dear Lord, do I love me some biscuits!
- Lunch with a former co-worker that I already miss a bunch
- Pay day - and juuuuuuuuuuuust in time, too. Phew.
- An awesome short hike with S yesterday - we found a lake behind our house (ok...HE found it on Google Earth, and then, WE went out on a hike to find it)
- Beautiful fall weather (especially since my friends up North are still without power and are snowed in!)
Dear Lord - thank you for the many blessings you've put on my plate - the ones I am mindful of, and the ones that I seem to take for granted by not mentioning them. I do know that I am truly blessed in every way. Please help the friends of mine that are without power - literally - it's less than awesome for them right now, and they are freaking COLD. Please continue to watch over the people that recently lost their jobs and guide their paths - and also, please keep an eye on my friend, M, her heart can't take much more, Dude. Please grant her safe travels and a peaceful mind as she takes a trip into the unknown. Please show me if I can be of service today to You and Your kids, and help me to get out of my own way long enough to do what is needed and right. Amen.
Friday, October 28, 2011
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Friday, October 21, 2011
Lots of stuff to be grateful for today - as there is every day, really! After lots of waiting, our marriage license finally came in. That meant that I could go get my social security card with my new married name, and my new driver's license...and every other piece of identification that you can imagine. Good grief - I had no idea how many things I use my name on! It's a small price to pay to be officially Mr. and Mrs.
We were also able to begin the process of combining our finances - which some people think is a scary thing, but I actually think it's a great thing. As my friend C says, everyone she knows that has separate finances ends up getting divorced! Now, I am not saying we won't each have our little "fun money"...but for the big stuff, it all goes in one account. We are a team, and I am grateful that I married a man that believes in that, wholeheartedly.
So, today, I am grateful for:
- Marrying a man that believes in us really being a team, emotionally, spiritually and financially
- Getting 9 1/2 hours sleep last night - I fell asleep watching a movie last night...and slept the whole night through. Aw - yeah!
- The USPS - when I can't be with the ones I love, I can mail them cards!
- 24 hours McDonalds - when I really, really need a caffeine fix on the way to work at 4:30am.
- Finally being done with two amends that I had been putting off
- A new freelance voiceover client - a friend recommended me out of the blue - thanks J!
Dear God, thanks so much for all of the blessings in my life. Help me to slow down enough to appreciate them and give them the attention they deserve. Please bless A and K tomorrow as they officially begin their lives together. Please watch over all of my friends and loved ones, and if there's a way to be of service to You or them, please move my heart to act in the way that would be most helpful. Please watch over the G family as they continue to mourn the loss of Z. Please help me to seek and do Thy will in all things. Amen.
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
- Safe travel home for S - and a good outcome from his business trip
- New sheets - not just clean sheets, but NEW sheets. Heaven.
- "Found time" today to get caught up on a few things around the house (not everything, but it's a few steps in the right direction)
- Finally being able to make the amends I've been putting off - and for not creating anything else to have to make amends for during the process
- Freshly groomed and good smelling dogs
Dear God, thanks for the many blessings in my life - and all the ones I didn't mention, too. You are pretty darn awesome, and my life is pretty darn good. Thanks for my friends, family and loved ones, and please keep them safe and healthy. Amen.
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Since being introduced to this group of women, we've morphed and grown. Some people have fallen out of the habit of coming - or their lives have gotten so full and good that they can't make it as regularly as they used to, but at the core of it, is a group of women that support and love each other - and honestly, I don't know what I would do without them. Whether I see each of them each week isn't the most important part - for me, the best part is knowing that SOMEONE will be there each week, no matter what. I know we are a lucky bunch of girls - especially because so many of us don't have "family" near by. We've become, what we call, a "family of choice" - and I love my FOC!
Today, I feel gratitude for:
- My FOC - they are "Old Reliable" - always there in some way or another
- Facetime - it allows S and I to see each other when he's on the road
- Pinterest - I could spend all day on that website!
- Cute shoes - I am so glad I spent money on GOOD shoes a few years ago, because they are fun to pull out again season after season.
- Cold weather - it may make me a freak down here, but I love the cold weather and the clothes that come with it!
Dear God, thank you for all of the blessings in my life, and for the many others I don't even know You are arranging all the time. Please protect S as he travels and goes up against ______ today. Also, keep an eye on my FOC - some of them need some serious TLC, and that would just be awesome if You could help them out. Help me to be of service today, and please remove my obsession about freaking food. Amen.
Sunday, October 16, 2011
- S's safety - it's scary how quickly things can change with a text that says "Everything's fine - but I was in a car accident". Truly one of the scariest moments I've had.
- A day to just chill out and read
- A friend to go for a walk with - because otherwise, I wouldn't have gone!
- Unexpected refund from medical bills that were overpaid - it's nice to GET some money from the medical system for once!
- People that take volunteering seriously
Dear God, thanks for all of the blessings in my life - and for a chance to have a better week than last week. I have planned to lay low - and NOT fill up my days beyond recognition. Let's see how that goes, right? Please keep an eye on S as he travels - and please grant us BOTH some courage as we have to have conversations with ________ this week. Also, please remove my fear about _____, and direct my thinking to what you'd have me be. Amen.
Friday, October 14, 2011
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
- a positive result for a friend's unexpected trip to the hospital
- being part of the process to interview new candidates for the ED position at St. Anne's - it feels good to be part of the solution
- Smoothie King's Lean One Smoothie - I wish I would have listened sooner to Steven when he told me how awesome they are (and with my schedule, having a quick thing to take with me is a MUST!)
- a long nap this afternoon - I am always grateful when I find time for a nap! Today, it was much more needed than usual.
- advice from friends on a sensitive topic - without judgement.
Dear God, thanks for everything. Help me to remember to turn to You in all things, big and small - even when I feel like it's out of Your jurisdiction or that it's not something I think You need to be worried about. Please keep an eye on KK - I love her lots and need her around for a long time. Amen.
Sent from my iPhone - please excuse any typo's!
Life is good - and I am grateful! Http://todayifeelgratitudefor.blogspot.com
Monday, October 10, 2011
Here's my list from the weekend - and it's all gratitude for things I didn't get or that didn't happen. Today, I feel gratitude for:
- Not walking all the way into the men's room at church yesterday - I wasn't paying attention to where I was going (shocking, I know!), and walked halfway into the men's room before I realized where I was. Luckily, I was able to turn around before I saw anything I shouldn't!
- Not gaining weight on a football weekend! For the past few weeks, we've been "bad" while tailgating, so we've put on a few each weekend and spent ALL week getting back on track, only to do it again
- Not getting worried about potential "drama" that would have made me crazy only a few years ago.
- Not running out of gas on the way to work this morning - it was a little stressful to watch the gas gauge at 4:30am and know that I would really be stranded if I didn't make it into work!
Dear God, thank you for all of the things you didn't allow to happen this weekend - and for the many other ways that you blessed me. Please keep an eye on my loved ones today - and please show me how to be helpful to them, if they need it! Please remove my fear of ______, and direct my thinking to what you'd have me be. Amen.
Friday, October 7, 2011
So, in the past 24 hours, here's what I felt gratitude for, in no particular order:
- the super friendly staff at Publix in Helena - and I mean, FRIENDLY. Wow. These people love their jobs, and their customers, and it makes me happy to shop there. The produce guy was literally cutting me samples of apples yesterday while I was there because he was so excited about his new shipment of Gala's.
- having enough cash in my wallet to pay for parking when I was running late for a work event and couldn't find a free spot anywhere! (When am I going to learn to be on time? I don't know...)
- couch time with S - it really just does a heart good.
- a quiet place at work, with a door that locks, where I can sneak in a nap, instead of having to drive home and waste the hour back and forth.
- a friend's anniversary today - her story is inspiring!
Dear God, thank you for the fantastic life I get to lead today - help me to act as grateful as I feel, and to be an outward steward of the gifts You've provided. Show me Your will, and please give me the power to carry it out, today. Please keep an eye on my friends, loved ones and family - and if I can be of service, please show me how. Amen.
Wednesday, October 5, 2011
I remember my dad saying it a lot of the time, and it often sounded too "big" for me, as a kid. "Bless us, oh Lord, for these, Thy gifts, which we are about to receive..." Quite honestly, I didn't really understand what we were doing - I was too focused on the yummy, fragrant food that my mom had prepared and was ready to stuff my face. It seemed like some silly grown-ups' trick to make us wait before we could eat.
Now, like a lot of things I didn't quite understand as a child, I "get it". My parents were setting the example of taking the time to pause and actively thank God for the nourishment He provides - both literally and spiritually. While my dad and I pray in very different ways, using very different language, we are both aiming at the same target - and I am grateful for the example that he and my mom set for us.
G. K. Chesterton makes an excellent point in the quote today. What else can I say grace for?
Tonight, S and I are going to see Cirque De Soleil, and I will take a minute before it starts to thank God for the gifts of the performers. I most certainly am not blessed with the same gifts - and I am grateful that I get to witness their artistry, and to share it with my husband.
Today, I feel gratitude for:
- So many new books to read on my Kindle that I kind of feel overwhelmed by the options when I lay down to read
- Time this afternoon to recharge
- Date night with S to go see Cirque
- Affordable football tickets
- Being able to say "no" gracefully in a tricky social situation today
Thank you, oh Lord, for these thy gifts - and all the other awesome stuff that You continue to bless me with each day. I really do live a blessed life, and I know it, today. Keep an eye on the girls at St. Anne's - and please help me to sense Your timing in making amends to ___, ____, and ____. I know that's coming, but I just don't feel brave enough yet. When You think it's time, please give me the courage to do what's right, even when I am scared. Also, please remove my fear around combining finances with S - help me to remember this is all part of the deal and that everything's going to be ok. Amen.
Tuesday, October 4, 2011
Monday, October 3, 2011
I woke up this morning with a v-e-r-y sore throat and glands that felt like golf balls. I was pretty sure it was strep throat. I am a strep throat veteran, you see. Strep throat has been a companion of mine many times over the years. It's been a while since we last visited, but I remembered it, crystal clearly. So, even without going to the doctor yet today, I knew what I was dealing with.
It was 4am - which is when I usually get up for work - and I've been sick quite a bit this calendar year, so I've used up the minimal sick days my company gives me. Any further sickness requires I use up my vacation days, and I am only down to two of those for the rest of the year. So, I had the debate: "Do I use up one of my remaining vacation days to stay home, go to the doctor and head this thing off at the pass?" or "Do I tough it out, go to work, potentially get everyone else sick and hang on to one of the two remaining vacation days I have left?"
In the end, I felt bad enough to sacrifice a vacation day to be able to stay home. I am so glad I did. I went to the doctor, and sure enough! I've got strep! They gave me a steroid shot to help kick start the recovery (so far, no Hulk-like symptoms have reared their ugly heads!) and a massive antibiotic, which the doctor said will "pretty much knock out anything you've got in addition to strep".
I've been a zombie today. All I've had the energy for (despite the steroid shot they gave me!) has been watching movies and TV, and playing games on my cell phone. The doctor DID prescribe more rest and fluids, so I am doing what he said. Hopefully, I'll be better by tomorrow. I have a FULL day tomorrow (as always)!
So, here's my list for today - because sick or not, there's something to feel gratitude for, right?
Today, I feel gratitude for:
- Modern medicine - I am pretty lucky that I was able to go into an "urgent care" clinic this morning, get seen by a doctor within an hour, get diagnosed and get medicine on one trip out of the house.
- Cable and DVR - a sick girl's best friend - kept me occupied all day long without having to get off the couch.
- Pretty weather - I am able to sit out on my back patio for a little bit to let the dogs play in the yard since they were going stir crazy. (Bonus gratitude for the patio to sit on and the backyard for them to play in, and for being able to figure out the umbrella so that I could sit outside and type on my laptop...which I am also grateful to have.)
- Friends that offered encouragement when I was bummed about _____
- My fantastic husband - he's just a good egg, all around and I am lucky to have him.
Dear God, I know that even when I feel yucky, life is better than I realize. Please help me to focus on the positive, and not resort to one of my favorite character defects: self pity. Thank you for the many blessings I've listed, and for the ones I have in my heart, too. Thank you for L going to do yoga at St. Anne's today - and for her gracious attitude when it didn't go as planned. Please keep an eye on my friends and family, especially my in laws going to the wake and funeral of their cousin, Kim, may she rest in peace after her valiant struggle with cancer. Also, please divorce me from the resentment I feel at the JERK who took down my Komen signs from the front of the neighborhood. Amen.
So, how about you? Even if you are having a yucky day, is there something you feel gratitude for in the middle of it all?
Sunday, October 2, 2011
- Incredible weather - good grief, it's gorgeous outside!
- Fun night with friends watching football last night
- Breakfast with friends this morning
- Spontaneous walks in two different parks near our house - what a husband I have to suggest them!
- Time in the hammock this afternoon to cuddle with my dog and read a new book
Wow, Dude - when you make good weather, you make GOOOOOD weather. This is awesome, and I am grateful for all of the awesome stuff that comes along with it. Thanks for filling my life with good friends and an awesome husband - they were all worth the wait. Please keep an eye on my family with their health and traveling, and on my in-laws as they deal with the loss of a beloved cousin. Thanks for friends birthdays and anniversaries today - what a filled day! Amen.